Monthly Archives: September 2014

Remote debugging on the Raspberry PI from QtCreator

For a few weeks now I got an error in QtCreator every time I started the debugger: “The selected build of GDB does not support Python scripting.It cannot be used in Qt Creator.

I imagined it’s due to my recent raspbian cleanup as I deleted everything I could (don’t remember why..). So yesterday I reinstalled raspbian from scratch due to a kernel panic and I reinstalled ubuntu due to a new laptop and the error was still there.

Long story short – it seems that the latest versions of QtCreator require python support in the _host_ gdb  to be able to format the debug data. The crosscompile toolchain for the raspi (https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools) lacks python support and I’m too green in the linux ways to compile my own toolchain so I got used to the idea of working without a debugger…

Today, desperate after 2 days of trying to nail down a crash I found out that you can use gdb-mutiarch and voila – debugging is back.

So:

sudo apt-get install gdb-multiarch

Point QtCreator to it:

Screenshot from 2014-09-28 22:54:44

and profit!

Advertisements

HW is ready

3 weeks ago I did some vibration tests with all the motors at half throttle and I realized I really need to properly isolate the IMU. I was getting +- 8G in all the axes most of the time. This was driving crazy my AHRS code so something had to be done.

It took one week of designing and printing a new case but I managed to incorporate some dampers.

Here are some pics of the case:
case

The case with the sonar and Dtotek 10dof IMU mounted. The imu sits on some spongy double-sided tape.case_sonar_imu

Now the the raspberry pi on top:
case_sonar_imu_raspi

This is the Quattro ESC + Alfa wifi board that will be mounted on top of the raspi.wifi_esc_voltage

The whole case is mounted on the frame with 8 vibration dampers that I recovered from a some camera gimbals.
frame_5
frame3

First test showed a big improvement. Accelerometer vibration dropped to +-1G but now I get some low frequency oscillation in the gyro, probably due to the resonance frequencies of the dampers. I will try soon to put some ear plugs in the center of the rubber dampers to see what happens.